2021 Honda Insight Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $23,885 MSRP*
- 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle engine, powerful electric propulsion motor, and lithium-ion battery pack with a total system output of 151 horsepower and 197 lb-ft of electric motor torque
- 55 MPG city fuel economy rating**
- Three selectable driving modes – ECON, Sport, and EV
- Standard Honda Sensing® suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies
- Available next-generation HondaLink® subscription services and HomeLink® Remote System
- Optional 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration
- Available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™, Honda HD Digital Traffic, and 4G LTE Wi-Fi capability
About the Honda Insight
Defying conventional beliefs about what it means to drive a hybrid vehicle, the Honda Insight combines style and smarts with unparalleled efficiency. Positioned between the Civic and Accord in the Honda passenger car lineup, the Insight comes from an award-winning lineage. Unlike the competition, the Insight combines the style and ergonomics of a premium compact sedan along with the outstanding fuel economy of leading hatchback hybrid models. Power comes in the form of a third-generation Honda two-motor hybrid system which produces a total of 151 net system horsepower for the Insight. In addition to its 55 MPG city fuel economy rating**, the Honda Insight also features an advanced lightweight body structure and the best power-to-weight ratio in its class.
What the Critics Say
Honda has been building hybrid electric vehicles for 20 years now, and it shows in the refined interplay between the Insight’s gasoline engine and electric motor. It’s always smooth, and the Insight’s electronic brain constantly determines which type of power — gas, electric or both — is best for the situation at hand.” — Autotrader
The 2021 Insight moves above the Civic with its active noise cancellation and extra sound deadening, making the cabin noticeably quieter than its non-hybrid stablemate. The Touring trim is even classier, thanks to perforated leather seating surfaces.” — Kelley Blue Book
What’s New for 2021
The Honda Insight receives a handful of exciting updates for the 2021 model year. Radiant Red Metallic is a new exterior color option now available for 2021. Also, last year’s Honda LaneWatch system has been discontinued and replaced with an improved Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Monitor on EX and Touring trim levels.
Honda Insight Features
Responsible for giving the Insight its outstanding fuel economy is a highly efficient 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle engine, a powerful electric propulsion motor, and lithium-ion battery pack working in perfect synchrony. In normal driving conditions, the Insight works as a “series hybrid”, which means that the engine does not supply power to the drive wheels — it solely produces electricity. After, this electricity is supplied to the electric propulsion motor and/or the 60-cell lithium-ion battery pack. Only when maximum power is required or at highway speeds will the gasoline engine engage the drive wheels. Three selectable driving modes allow Insight drivers to choose between NORMAL, ECON, and SPORT to prioritize efficiency or maximize performance.
Drivers will have their choice of three individual trim levels on the Honda Insight — LX, EX, and Touring. Standard features found on all trims include push-button start, folding rear seat, 6-speaker audio system, a 7-inch TFT digital driver’s meter, along with Bluetooth® and Pandora® compatibility. Great for those living active lifestyles, the Insight offers a massive 15 cubic feet of cargo capacity inside the trunk along with a useful pass-through from the 60/40 split rear seats when folded. Other optional amenities offered on the Insight include the HomeLink® Remote System, embedded Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™, a power moonroof, and perforated leather upholstery.
Adding to the comfortable ride of the Insight, Honda has taken advantage of its Advance Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure. Lowering weight and boosting fuel economy, the Insight features an aluminum hood unique to the vehicle. Standard on every Insight is the Honda Sensing® suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies. Included in this suite are Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keeping Assistance System, Road Departure Mitigation, and Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow and Traffic Sign Recognition. EX and Touring trims will come standard with Honda LaneWatch™ and all trims include a multi-angle rearview camera.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $23,885 MSRP*
- 1.5-liter, Atkinson cycle 4-cylinder engine with electric motor, 151 total-system horsepower
- Honda Sensing® suite of safety and driver-assistive features
- 3-mode drive system (ECON/Sport/EV)
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® and streaming audio
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Starting at $25,765 MSRP*
- Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ smartphone integration
- 8-inch Display Audio with high-resolution touch-screen
- Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Monitor
- Smart entry with Walk Away Auto Lock®
- 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback
- Starting at $29,795 MSRP*
- Ivory, Black or Black / Mocha Leather-trimmed seats
- Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with voice recognition and Honda HD Digital Traffic
- 450-watt premium audio system with 10 speakers including subwoofer
- One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system
*MSRP includes $955.00 destination charge but excludes tax, license, registration, and options. Dealer sets own prices.
**55 city/49 highway/52 combined mpg rating for LX and EX trims. 51 city/45 highway/48 combined mpg rating for the Touring trim. Based on 2021 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on driving conditions, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, battery-pack age/condition and other factors.